Pages

April 12, 2009

New Insights into Illustrations

I've posted before about my fascination with illustrations (one of my many fascinations!) http://studio6or7.blogspot.com/2009/04/vintage-illustrations.html . This week I started making my own children's illustrations and it's given me a new found respect for the work that illustrators produce.

Great illustrations have clean, and often simple, lines that convey a lot with very little. And I think great illustrators make it look somewhat easy, but I'm finding that it's not easy at all.

Here's an example of one of the most well-known illustrations, probably the world over. Simple lines, great use of complimenting shapes and limited use of color. Combine all this together and you have a great illustration:


I have a lot to learn about illustrating as my first few attempts clearly demonstrate (don't worry- I won't post them for now) but it's given me a greater appreciation for those illustrators that so handily send their message using this format.

Some of my favorite illustrations are from Japan. This artist does custom/funny illustrations of life in Japan. I love the faces, the feet and the colors. You can find more on his website here: http://www.japansketches.com/index.html



I'll leave you with one of my favorite illustrations of Darwin that was in the New York Times recently:

Andrea at Studio6

No comments:

Post a Comment