Pages

October 23, 2009

A Star is Born

I recently completed an art piece that I submitted for consideration for a gallery show. I love the colors in this piece and the swirling design, which reminds me of Sufi dancers.

This piece took a long time to create due to the amount of time that it took to lay out the design. After putting on 1-2 layers of stamps, the design had to be laid out and measured again in order to make sure it was still balanced and on track to end in the center of the canvas. This is one of the most complicated pieces I've made, though it might not look like it.

This is what 3,000+ stamps look like:


'Mixed History' 24" x 24" x 1.5"

I used to live in the Marshall Islands where the Marshallese make beautiful woven handicrafts and I purchased one with a beautiful 7 pointed star in the design. I really like the 7 pointed star and thought it would be an interesting design to try with my medium.

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful star design - and what patience you have, to lay out all those stamps so precisely! Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete