Pages

January 12, 2011

Don't-Get-Your-Hands-Dirty Awesome Homemade Bread Recipe

First, it should be noted that I don't really cook.  And I don't really like to get my hands dirty.  Even though I sometimes call myself a gardener, I really don't like to get my hands dirt.  The miracle of gardening gloves.  (If my parents had thought to give me some when I was little, I would not have hid under my bed on family gardening nights to avoid the dirt and worms.  It's true.  I did...)

ANYway, a couple of years ago I found a great! very easy bread recipe online somewhere and I manage to make it without ever even touching the dough really.  Here is my slightly modified version (and if this was your recipe originally- I'm sorry I don't remember who you are in order to acknowledge you but you ARE a fantastic bread-making guru!).  

3 ingredients, 3 short steps. If I can make it, anyone can make it. Trust me.  





















Ingredients:

  • 3 c bread flower (sometimes I throw in a little more, sometimes a little less, but approx. 3 cups)
  • 1 1/2 c of warm water- tap water warm is fine
  • Heaping 1/4 tspn of instant yeast
  • 1 tspn sea salt (or table salt, whatever you want really...)
  • Some kind of pot/bowl/dish with a lid that can go in the oven at 450 degrees.

Dump all ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir until it's all wet and sticky.  It won't be pretty, but it won't matter.  Cover and let sit for 12 to 24 hours.

After 12 to 24 hours, dump (use a spoon to get it all out) dough onto a cutting board that has a little flower on it.  Use the spoon to push the dough into a rough roundish shape.  Sprinkle with flower.  If you don't mind getting your hands a bit flour-y then rub the flour around a bit so that the dough is covered with it.  Put a tea towel/cloth napkin over it.

Let dough sit for 2 hours.  After dough has been sitting for 1 1/2 hours, put an empty glass or ceramic covered dish into the oven and turn it on to 450 degrees.  (Sometimes I do this after only 1 hour of letting the dough sit if I'm anxious to eat fresh bread!).  After 20-30 minutes, take the empty dish out of the oven and dump your dough into it.  It doesn't need to be beautiful. Sometimes if it lands really lopsidedly into the bowl I use pot holders to grab the handles of the bowl and shake the bowl a bit until it settles nicely into the center.

Put the lid back on the dish with your dough in it and return to oven.  Bake for 30 mins covered then take lid off and bake for 5-10 mins more until top is the color that you want it.  Voila!  You just made fabulous bread without, presumably, getting your hand dirty.

I suggest finding some homemade peach jam to go with it and eat while warm... 

No comments:

Post a Comment