Pages

December 21, 2010

Bicycle Beginnings

This is the beginning of my latest project, which is to collage my sparkly green Bianchi road bike with postage stamps from my collection.  Ever since my beloved Bianchi was stolen last year, and I picked up a similar used one on eBay to replace it, I've been a little reluctant to ride it because of the big bold name printed on it.  Something has to be done.   Given that I love postage stamps and I love my bikes, they seem like a perfect match.

Here are the 'before' shots of everything.  First, the bike:



















This is a pretty good chunk of my stamp collection that has yet to be sorted. I store these in old bike baskets while they await sorting.




















This is after a bit of sorting.  Once I sort the stamps, generally by color or theme, they go into old jars or into my box collection.





















If I had my choice, I would do my bike in yellow stamps but there seems to be a dearth of yellow stamps in the world for some reason. They're really hard to find in any meaningful quantity.  In any case, my other bike is sunshine yellow, so I don't mind using another color.  Pinks & red it is!  I still have more sorting to do because I don't think this pile will be enough to cover the entire frame, but it's a good start. 



















I'm hoping to have this project finished by January 10th so stay tuned for the 'afters'!

No comments:

Post a Comment