Pages

October 24, 2011

Destination Antarctica





























With a bit of frantic packing, sorting out cameras, mailing extra clothes, running errands and fitting in last minute visits with friends, I somehow managed to pull my act together with the less than 3 days notice I received that I'm leaving for the ice today. There are a lot of things I'll miss while I'm gone but I'm a cold weather girl at heart and I love being in the middle of nowhere, so Antarctica has always been a favorite place for me.  



First stop is Christchurch, New Zealand to pick up extreme cold weather gear and have a last yummy meal of Thai or sushi.  I don't think I'm going to have time to get to the botanic gardens unless we get delayed though. Keeping fingers crossed that we do! 


Then a long flight to McMurdo Station, Antarctica. I don't know how long I'll be in McMurdo but hopefully long enough to catch up with old friends, catch a glimpse of a penguin or two if they're around and hike to Hut Point. I'd ideally like to take some polaroids while I'm there too.


Then it's off to South Pole for a fun summer of coordinating chaos! Temps will probably be somewhere between -40 to -50 when I arrive and by New Years, with any luck, we might hit zero, but it can't be counted on. In any case, it's going to be chilly, but a fun year with the 100th anniversary of Amundsen & Scott making it to the pole.


I'll post pictures as soon as I can. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment