Of course I had to incorporate some of my postage stamps. These are from about 10 different countries.
So in the end, the method I used was this:
- Lay down somewhat watery acrylic paint. It doesn't need to be runny, but you do want it a little bit water because you don't want it to dry until you've had a chance to finish painting and put the baking soda on.
- Sprinkle baking soda over it- unevenly for a mottled, uneven effect.
- Let paint dry.
- Once dry, use a wet rag to scrub the baking soda off. The more you scrub, the more paint will come off- you can adjust this to get the effect that you're looking for.
- Let canvas dry.
- Seal with gel medium.
- Let gel dry.
- Repeat with another layer of watery acrylic.
- Repeat continuously until you are happy with it.
I actually put down 4 layers of acrylic paints- blue, green, neon yellow and pearl. Then I laid down the vintage paper and postage stamp design. Then I put 3 more layers of paint- another of blue, green and yellow.
If anyone else tries this, I'd love to see your results.