Pages

June 22, 2009

New Paint Layering Method: Final Piece

I'm happy to report that the piece I've been working on using the baking soda method has survived in one piece and is now finished. It's really bright and I'm pleased with how it turned out.



Of course I had to incorporate some of my postage stamps. These are from about 10 different countries.



So in the end, the method I used was this:

  1. Lay down somewhat watery acrylic paint. It doesn't need to be runny, but you do want it a little bit water because you don't want it to dry until you've had a chance to finish painting and put the baking soda on.
  2. Sprinkle baking soda over it- unevenly for a mottled, uneven effect.
  3. Let paint dry.
  4. Once dry, use a wet rag to scrub the baking soda off. The more you scrub, the more paint will come off- you can adjust this to get the effect that you're looking for.
  5. Let canvas dry.
  6. Seal with gel medium.
  7. Let gel dry.
  8. Repeat with another layer of watery acrylic.
  9. Repeat continuously until you are happy with it.

I actually put down 4 layers of acrylic paints- blue, green, neon yellow and pearl. Then I laid down the vintage paper and postage stamp design. Then I put 3 more layers of paint- another of blue, green and yellow.

If anyone else tries this, I'd love to see your results.

No comments:

Post a Comment