Pages

April 15, 2009

Fabulous Stamps of the Week!

I have new, and what I think are fabulous, stamps to show you this week. First, I have some colorful conservation minded stamps. I think the soil one is a little duller than the rest, but since I've been studying soil, and why it's the #1 thing we need to survive after water, this semester, I thought it appropriate to include it. I really like the design and colors of the stamp from Turkey:



Most people know that I have a thing for trees, a theme that will no doubt keep cropping up in my blogging just as it does everywhere else in my life. When I travel, I take dozens of pictures of trees- live trees, blooming trees, naked trees, dead trees, pretty much any kind of tree. I use trees in my art work, have pictures of trees around my house and wish that I could live in a tree. Seriously. So when I find stamps with trees, I'm always very happy. I found tree stamps from several countries this week while sifting through my piles of stamps. When I sift through stamps, I sort by color and by theme, such as ships, planes, etc... but first and foremost of course, I pull out my favorites and hoard them away. And this includes all of the stamps with trees. I love all of the different interpretations of trees on these stamps:










I think I mentioned last week that I had a very special stamp to post this week. This is probably THE most intriguing stamp that I've ever gotten. I wish I could say that it had been mailed to me, but sadly, I only received it in a bulk set of stamps that I purchased somewhere, and I'm not even sure where.
This stamp, in case you can't tell from the pictures, is hand-painted on an itty bitty piece of canvas!!! It is truly a 'work of art'. My pictures here really don't do justice to the fine brushstrokes that carefully laid down these beautiful miniature little flowers. This stamp is 4 1/2 cm x 3 1/2 cm. It's really small, considering that it's a painting on canvas. It's simply fantastic. I haven't decided what to do with it yet (definitely taking suggestions if you want to leave a comment!). Frame it? Find a super miniature easel for it? Turn it into a fridge magnet? I just don't know. What I DO know is that this little guy isn't going anywhere! This one definitely goes into the 'Andrea's Hoarding Stamps' pile.

Andrea at Studio6

6 comments:

  1. Holy cow! That last stamp is amazing! Does it have some sort of adhesive backing? Who could ever use it to mail!?! Definitely go with the frame... though it might have to be a wee bitty frame. Maybe your travels will bring you more of these stamps and you could frame them as a set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW - do you ever plan on trying out black and white art? I know it would be dificult because then your dealing with shading vs color contrast... just curious

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! It's so neat! I love it.

    I've actually made 2 pieces with black and white stamps- but they are hard to come by. One of my next big projects is a cityscape with black & white background but I need more B&W stamps before I can get started.

    Also working on some illustrations which I'm planning on turning into B&W little paintings- they're little animals, for kids. We'll see how that goes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have the most interesting stamps I've ever seen..And that last one I wouldn't part with it either...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always surprised by what pops up in the foreign stamps that I buy- some pretty cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You think that's really a stamp? Maybe the stamps in Bhutan are handpainted? wouldn't that be cool????

    ReplyDelete